A Sales Message Audit Prepares
the Sales Team for a Winning Season
To maximize the success of your professional sales team, they should be trained in the following:
What does the customer value--precisely--not generally?
- How to use customer-centric language to skillfully differentiate products and services from the competition's products and services.
To obtain the specific language that customers use to describe why, when and where they want to have a relationship with a company and/or the service or product, a Sales Messaging Audit should be conducted on an annual basis.
Three Primary Objectives of a Sales Messaging Audit:
Two Secondary Objectives of a Sales Messaging Audit:
- Why to buy: Identify the sales messages that prospective customers need to hear that will motivate them to buy your product or service. Understand their specific wants or needs and what these wants or needs mean to them, along with the messages they are hearing from competition.
- When to buy: Identify the best timing/circumstances for prospective customers to hear the sales messages. Understand the specific circumstances that would cause them to step aggressively into the buying cycle.
- Where to buy: Identify the best places for prospective customers to hear the sales messages.
Understand where customers are influenced--What publications, journals, tradeshows, conferences, e-newsletters, phone calls, etc. play a role in influencing their purchase and decision to buy.
We will not jeopardize the primary objectives to obtain the secondary objectives, however, the secondary objectives can frequently be achieved.
- Identify what prospects currently use and why
- Identify potential sales leads
To avoid disappointing results and wasted resources, any sales, marketing or outbound campaign should not begin until the above type of work has been completed.
Unless they perform in unison, sales and marketing efforts are going to be doomed to mediocrity.
In a military campaign, the artillery is launched first; it paves the way for infantry. A successful artillery deployment facilitates the job of infantry, to gain ground and hold it. Given the choice, no general would ever send infantry into battle without excellent artillery support and no CEO should send a sales force into the market without effective marketing support. Yet too often, we observe sales professionals working with little or no marketing support.
When marketing and sales are strategically integrated, sales outcomes are accelerated.
To take sales one step further and to defend current customer relationships against competitive poaching, the Beckett Customer Retention Program has time-tested modules that build customer intimacy and help your sales or account team uncover almost immediate new business.
Through our triangulation methods, we can reveal opportunities that often your staff cannot because your customers and prospects do not perceive internal staff as unbiased, independent, and third party. So, simply because we're not you, we're uniquely positioned to uncover the unbiased market intelligence you need to grow faster.
Annual independent third-party interventions in the form of customer interviews unearth gems that expand business success and accelerate sales. (For a few specifics, please visit our Case Studies.)