Dr. David Tralli
Dr. David Tralli has served as the creative catalyst and implementer for successful strategic initiatives and business developments, with a proven track record in emerging and growth sectors.
He provides outstanding leadership in the conceptualization of products at the systems level, with an ability to rapidly build teams and partnerships leading to agile development and transition to market.
In the energy and environmental sector, he is staying ahead of the competition by looking at novel energy conversion and storage technologies and applications, including Li-ion batteries, fuel cells, hydrogen storage, industrial waste heat recovery, and architectures for the integration of distributed energy resources into the electric power grid, distribution automation, demand response schemes, microgrids, grid cybersecurity and options for clean transportation.
At NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory where he has worked for over 20 years, Dr. Tralli has developed civil and commercial business in emerging markets for advanced technologies.
Selected Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Developed new strategic sponsor base for the corporation, for major research equipment and infrastructure projects and integrated systems, homeland security, airborne and satellite-borne environmental instrumentation, and energy conversion and storage technologies.
- Acquired funding for an R&D portfolio of diverse advanced technologies, sensors and instruments, modeling and applications projects valued at over $15M/yr.
- Designed the strategy and implementation plan for a new program targeting global emergent markets for commercialization of information, biomedical and remote imaging technologies.
- Provided Program Planning and Analysis to Corporate Headquarters, leading to new decision-support capabilities in multiple business sectors, transitioning developmental systems to operations.
- Pioneered the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) technology for environmental research, and for real-time monitoring, through development of novel data processing software.
- Published over 20 predominantly first-authored peer-reviewed journal articles in research, technology assessment, risk management and financial valuation.
- Recipient of NASA Group Achievement Awards for Project Formulation and for Technology Commercialization.
- Tralli, D. M., Business Capture Perspective on Renewable Energy Integration Challenges and the Smart Electric Power Grid: Towards a Strategic Vision and Plan, 2008, Civil Programs, National Space Technology Applications Office, JPL.
- Tralli, D. M. et al., Satellite remote sensing of earthquake, volcano, flood, landslide and coastal inundation hazards, Special Issue, Intl. Soc. Photogramm. Rem. Sens, doi:10.1016, June 2005.
- Tralli, D. M. Valuation of Technology Development Using a Novel Workflow Approach to Compound Real Options, IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, Montana, March, 2004.
- Tralli, D. M. and W. F. Lyte, "The Alameda Corridor: Applying Geospatial Information in the Highly Competitive Intermodal Transportation Industry," May/June 2001 Imaging Notes, Space Imaging, Inc.
- Panelist, California Public Utilities Commission, Smart Grid Rulemaking Workshop: Smart Grid Deployment Plan Requirements, March 17, 2010 - San Francisco, CA.
- Keynote Speaker, Global Smart Energy - Bilateral Trade Opportunities, Monterey Bay International Trade Association, November 13th, 2009 - Monterey, CA.
Masters of Business Administration (MBA) - Strategic Management and Technology Marketing
Peter F. Drucker and Masatoshi Ito Graduate School of Management - Claremont, CA
Doctorate (PhD) - Geophysics
University of California - Berkeley, CA
Bachelor of Science (BS) Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa - Physics
University of Southern California - Los Angeles, CA
California Institute of Technology, Industrial Relations Center - Executive Courses
Competitive Technical Intelligence, Managing Technology as a Strategic Resource, Strategic Marketing of Technology Products, Streamlining the Technology Development Process, Successful Project Management